I LOVE ADOBO!
Hi there! I'm from the Philippines and since I'm just a newcomer here, I want to share to you a very delicate dish here in my country and is also my favorite :) This dish is called "Adobo". Well it may sound unfamiliar to you but Adobo is definitely one of the most favorite food dish here. It has many variations (well, it depends mainly between person) but what I will share to you is the most basic procedure on how to prepare it. Hope you find it really tasteful :))
1 kg pork (cut into cubes) 1/2 kg chicken (cut into cubes) 1/2 cup Soy sauce 1 clove garlic (chopped) ½ onions (chopped) 1 pc ginger (crushed) 1 pack laurel leaves with seeds 1/4 cup vinegar 1 cup water 1 tbsp salt 1 tbsp sugar 1 tsp black pepper 1 tbsp olive oil (just a simple cooking oil will do) 2 cups lemon juice (optional) 1 small can pineapple tidbits (optional)
Adobo cooking Procedure:
1. Pre-heat the frying pan on high heat.
2. Put the oil on the very hot pan.
3. Put garlic, onions and ginger to the hot frying pan.
4. Saute pork and chicken until it turns light brown on medium heat. Mix the pork and chicken well for evenly cook. To reduce fat, you can saute the pork first and let the fats dissolve. Remove excessive oil from the frying pan (saturated fats are not good for our cardiovascular health).
5. Pour lemon juice and pineapple juice from the can and let it boil for 5-10 minutes, but don’t let it dry out. The pork and chicken will absorb the taste of the lemon and pineapple, and will make the meat tender. Adding more lemon juice only improves the taste, in my opinion.
6. Pour water, vinegar, pineapple tidbits, whole laurel leaves with seeds and soy sauce, and then simmer it for 15-20 minutes on medium heat with constant stirring.
7. After 15-20 minutes, add black pepper, salt and sugar to taste.
8. Serve your Filipino adobo in a bowl. Servings are good for 3-5 persons.
This dish is usually served with rice and softdrinks.. Enjoy your meal!
- Recipe for Chicken Adobo (Chicken Cooked in Soy Sauce and Vinegar) (kalynskitchen.com)
- wordpress.com) (amsxjproject.
- Pork Sisig (masarapdin.wordpress.com)
- Chicken Adobo Recipe (mademan.com)